View Single Post
Captain
# 34
02-08-2013, 03:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulberat View Post
You and I seem to have run into opposite issues with our entries. You had to figure out how to expand yours--and I had to figure out just how pared-down and minimalist my entry could be, in order to achieve my objectives and do honor to those in the time period traveled to.
I really liked that simplicity of your entry, and it was your decision to participate which made me do so, as I really wasn't feeling the topic as a short entry, as I felt it was something which I as a writer, could only cover in a longer story to give enough of an explanation, so I really liked how you were able to do so with such economy I decided to chop the story after the meeting with Stark, because the method of returning to the 25th Century had already been discussed, and what would have happened after the meeting, the waiting for the frame to be constructed, the fitting, the return to orbit, was all pretty safe to assume happening. I didn't want to make it too specific that the crew were present for Woodstock, and figured I'd leave Stark's distaste for the hippies to suggest what was going on, rather than having to have Palmer swipe Hendrix's guitar before leaving

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulberat View Post
I liked your entry.

Just one question...if I recall, Meliden is a Cardassian who was adopted by human parents. Do you think her parents would be upset, if she chooses not to reverse the procedure? :-/
Thanks, and likewise, I really enjoyed your entry, as it really showed Alyosha's connection to Earth and his Humanity, and the reasoning that they simply had to wait for time to restore the crew to their correct time was a nice change. I simply figured that subspace folds was something else which could be explored, and gave me the opportunity to write my favorite Vulcan female I was tempted to write Tony Stark as a child in the office with Howard, and having Meliden chastising him for drinking in front of his son, but I'd already got one guest star in, so didn't want to go overboard...

Yes, Meliden was adopted by Human parents, but unlike Worf, who had already lived part of his life in Klingon culture, Meliden was adopted as a newborn after the hospital she had been born in was bombarded by the Dominion, so she has literally only ever known Human culture, and was bullied as a child for being Cardassian, so her parents would be well aware of her desire to appear Human, but likely never had the connections or resources to have such a procedure done privately. Starfleet, on the other hand, routinely performs surgical alterations to such an extent that the altered officer is externally indistinguishable from the target species, so for Meliden, this would literally have been a lifelong dream come true

Last edited by marcusdkane; 02-08-2013 at 03:20 AM.