View Single Post
Career Officer
# 29
02-08-2013, 08:28 AM
Clearly Starfleet believes in handing out promotions rather than raises. My Vice Admiral still has a salary of 0 EC a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
As far as the game is concerned, there is only one chosen one. There are not currently thousands of Vice Admirals just a few. Its not like everyone stopped the Doomsday Machine, discovered the Undine were being influenced by the Iconians, and many other instances in the game. Only one crew did it.
Yet that "Admiral" is still getting ordered around by Commanders and Captains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newplayerguy7 View Post
And all of those positions were a sort of semi-retirement status for those involved.
"Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge, of that ship. Because as long as you're there, you can make a difference." - James T. Kirk

Quote:
Also, how do you know that all the people you team up with are Vice Admirals?
Are you familiar with the concept of uniforms and rank insignia?
Quote:
IAs far as my main character is concerned, she is the only Vice Admiral that goes around saving the galaxy since she is the best person at the job. Being stuck behind a desk is a huge waste of her talents and being stuck as Captain wouldn't allow her to make orders that best reflect the current situation.
Your Captain never "make orders" for anything. You just take orders - from Commanders to Captains, they all outrank you and make the command decisions.

This is especially egregious if you end up at level 50 from DOffing before finishing the Klingon War arc, and are a Vice Admiral for practically every mission.

"Retreat! We'll cover you!"
"I can go toe to toe with Tactical Cubes. YOU retreat. I'll wipe out their pathetic fleet and wait for you to come back."

I love the scenarios where there's supposed to be endless waves that Starfleet is barely holding off, only I wipe out each wave in a few seconds and the Starfleet ships just kind of mill about. Yes, clearly I need to flee so you can sacrifice yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan5000 View Post
I think alot of you have the wrong impression on what an Admiral does. I was in the Navy for 11 years and my first ship was an aircraft carrier. Whenever we deployed we had an admiral with us.
Did this Admiral captain the ship, or did you have an actual Captain in charge of the ship? Isn't the Admiral supposed to be in charge of the overall deployment/campaign? I'm pretty sure he didn't pick up a shotgun and lead the ground drops either.

"Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference." - James T. Kirk

Last edited by darkjeff; 02-08-2013 at 08:43 AM.