Need for an Engineer in high level PvP?
View Single Post
Join Date: Nov 2012
02-10-2013, 10:54 AM
Well if we are going to really look at the changes made to the game in the last year or so and the classes... I guess it is pretty obvious to see none of the Cryptic Staff plays any engi. Lets consider the following issues.
1) Power... Frankly Everyone has WAY to much... EPS is sucks. Why is that ? Its simple its redundant. Who needs +33 power to every system when your power already reads 125 125 80 80....
2) Power Transfer Rate... Lets add that into the skill tree, this was a horrible move on Cryptic part Electro Plasma game destroyer... Yes why not everyone is sick to death of running and EPS Unit... again who needs EPS transfer, when everyone has the = of 2 EPS units worth of transfer for a small handful of skill points.
3) Weapon power usage... this one changes a good while ago... but really again what good is EPS transfer ? Weapon power automagikly returning after a cycle has cause a ton of weapon balance problems... and again lessened what used to be a stable Engi Offensive skill... and as a support skill throwing one on a cannon escort under the old system was just evil fun. Now its pointless... chances are an escort you throw a EPS likely won't even notice they got it.
4) Kinetic Cutting Beam... WTF? are you kidding... Free Nadion Inversion for everyone... and infact more of it for ships that can load cannons and rapid fires... have fun guys on demand face roll in a can. Nadion why would anyone need that ?
5) Doffs that replace Nadion... I know its only 8s... still Activate DEM get 8s of free nadion... don't even have to be a silly engi.
6) So many +power items I won't even try to count them...
I am sure I am forgetting some major things... I won't talk about FAW as I know most would... IMO it was completely wacked before... and if its not using ACC properly now it should be fixed... still I would rather see FAW busted then working the way it has for half of the 20 or so versions we have seen.
IF I was the dev in charge of balance this is what I would do....
I wouldn't change one item...
I wouldn't change one doff...
What I would do...
1) Raise the base power setting of every ship system to 125... making 125 the new 100... and allowing power to raise to 150. Where as weapons at 125 do the same amount of dmg they do now at 100... and 150 = 125. I hope that makes sense... I would of course not raise the max power you could set in the ship...
So you would still set say 100 25 50 25... but your systems would all take a good 20-30% hit.
This would INSTANTLY restore the usefulness of EPS transfer.
2) I would half the power transfer rate afforded by Electro Plasma Systems. Again forcing people that swap power to slot an EPS (reducing some of the games tank)... and once again making EPS transfer a super powerful buff.
3) I would return weapon drain. Nadion is basicly pointless... the only ships that should be able to feed an 8 beam broad side... or a 8 cannon bit of pew pew should be an engi... An escort wanting to run full cannons should be forced to slot 1-2 EPS units again... once again tank removed from the game... DPS or TANK not both all the time.
Anyway those are the 3 things I would change to restore Engi to its rightful place in the trinity. With all the power creep and all the brain dead additions that basicly replace the need for engi buffs... I think that would be about the only way to easily fix the class. (with out redoing multiple skills and items)
/channel_join Tyler Durden