Quote:
Originally Posted by zaynar View Post
I've gone in and updated my mission.

Mission Name: By Any Means
Author: SupremeLegate
Minimum Level: 46+
Allegiance: Klingon
Project ID: ST-HCEDLOVSV
Estimated Mission Length: Still does not qualify for the wrapper.

Also, if you have any suggestions on how to make it longer, without losing quality, so it will qualify for the wrapper would be appreciated.
It occurs to me that I may have been a little harsh in my previous response to you. I apologize for that. Let me clarify my points a little more.

First of all, in my opinion, writing a Klingon mission has got to be one of the hardest tasks an author can undertake. This can be especially true if it is your first time creating a mission in the Foundry. Finding the balance between tough combat, mission oriented tasks, and story dialogue is not an easy task. There are several great Klingon missions out there that demonstrate the true heart of the Klingon. Thoughtful, yet able to fight against impossible odds, sure in the knowledge of victory, or they will die trying. My take on the Klingon warrior, especially one who rises to command a starship, is they are tough, understand tactics, and would never charge blindly into battle. They would understand the need for tactics and always fight honorably. In the Klingon heart only a coward would fight otherwise.

My second point, is deciding how you want the story to end. Even if the story is one in a series or story arc you must decide what the goal or end point of the particular mission is. Of course when you are writing a single mission in a series you need to know how you plan to end series. Otherwise the story will not blend together and make sense to the player. If you know how you want a particular story to end then you can figure out how to write the dialogue, design the maps and interactions, which includes battles, to get the story to that point. I tend to write the story with the assumption that a players character would not be in command of a starship if they were stupid. This draws the player into the story and makes them feel a part of what is happening.

I wrote a paper titled "Evil70th - Best Practices" located on page 5 of this forum post. It covers several points that, in my opinion, help make a mission work. Remember, every author here started out learning how to use the Foundry. Use the resources that are available to you here on the forums and at Starbase UGC. Most authors are happy to help you with ideas and tutorials that will help you make even better missions.

Good luck, and thanks for authoring,
Brian
If you would like a detailed review of your mission please visit my forum posting "In depth mission reports upon request" for details. Also see Evil 70th's list of missions at "Evil 70th's Missions".