View Single Post
Empire Veteran
# 3
02-13-2013, 07:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
I think my favorite is the Enterprise-D warp effect. The glow from the engines, the sound effect, and the two flashes as it warps away just gives an impression of power. The stretchy warping of the ship thing in the middle is kind of stupid though. I like the movement part of 0:36 much better.

The JJ warp effect isn't terrible, but I loathe the fact there's no flash. That's just stupid.

As for the STO version, I think the problem is the fact that the sound effects and the visuals are the same no matter the ship. It doesn't matter whether you're in a piddly runabout, or a city-sized Galaxy Class, you get the same effect. I'm sure that's part of it.
Yeah, I can see that. If we had different sounds per ship, the effect might seem more unique. I still think it needs some sort of epic trumpet music to accompany it.

Very good point on your observation that the JJ warp effect lacks flash. If it isn't flashy, it just isn't star trek (much in the same way that the enterprise sound track didn't feel star treky b/c it lacked triumphant orchestral pieces we hear in the DS9 and TNG opening scenes).

On topic of the enterprise D, I too agree that the enterprise D warp out reflects the power and majesty that is the Enterprise D going into the unknown at full warp. For me, the coolest Enterprise D warp out is 46 seconds into that evolution of warp video. The enterprise being able to out run the after shock shows how powerful and fast that starship is. So awesome.
=^= Starfleet Code Red Message =^= Starfleet intelligence's central network was compromised by an insidious ARC virus. All captains are to avoid contact with the ARC until we can ascertain how dangerous it is. All ships remain on high alert!