View Single Post
Lieutenant
# 22
02-15-2013, 10:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
However, with regards greatest literary artists and profanity, I would have to mention the works of Shakespeare... Considered to be sophisticated, and Serious Business in terms of performance, but, in his day, Shakespeare would have held the kind of position which Tarantino had back in the 90s, and would have been considered every bit as rude as Tarantino's movies...
Agreed, but look how Shakespear did it. He used masterful wording to get the point across instead of having to resort to the one shot shocker, that really doesn't shock anymore.

I am no hypocrite, Desperation, The Regulators, The Dark Tower trilogy....all good books, and Steven King did not exactly watch his language. LOL
However, he also was not writing on an open forum. There are ways of getting around cussing, without losing the feel of the character, if that is who the character is. There are ways of making a character a "player" without ever introducing one sex scene. Literary challenges like those are what really gets a novice writer to challenge themselves, and usually make a better literary work. Just my opinion. Not intended to be an argument even to your quote above, as I can actually agree with you as well.
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/archivepix.html

"Maybe space is not the final frontier," - Luke Minhere