Thread: Tech Issue
View Single Post
Survivor of Romulus
# 5
02-16-2013, 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckysolo2 View Post
3 weeks ago, I uninstalled STO. At the time, it worked perfectly. This morning, I reinstalled and patched 3 separate times and after I click "Engage" ... it goes to the black screen that says "Cryptic" and has the loading thing ... then after a few seconds, the screen goes black and there's a white box with nothing in it at the top left corner of the screen. It just sits there and doesn't load nor does it give me an error. The only option is to pull up the Task Manager to force close it and once I've done that, it gives me graphical errors all over my desktop which I can only get rid of by restarting my computer. I have changed nothing on my computer since the original installation (which I may remind you worked perfectly) ... but suddenly, it doesn't work. All of my drivers are updated. I downloaded it from the link on the STO site, not through Steam or anything. Have the specs of this game changed or something between patches or what?
I'd try launch the game in Safe Mode too, and see if I could get as far as to be able to lower the graphics.

Also check your windows updates, for stuff like the latest .net update.

Another thing that helped me sometimes when I have had an "old" installation of windows is to run a registry cleaner program (google it and you'll probably find a bunch of freeware).

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelley View Post
I have Win 7 64 bit, so I run the game in WinXP compatibilty mode.
You shouldn't have to run it in XP mode? Mine works perfect (in-game bugs aside).