View Single Post
Captain
# 1636
02-17-2013, 09:07 PM
I start paid training for my new job tomorrow so I won't be on here until probably after 4PM Central. Gonna have to get up really early so I am about to call it a night. But I am checking in before I do to also pledge my support for the players.

A lot can happen between now and tomorrow afternoon. Perhaps this thread will still be open. Perhaps not. It is my hope that if they close it, they will also issue some form of official statement as to how they intend to resolve the issues addressed here. Customer satisfaction should be their number one priority. After all, their revenue generation relies on customer interest.

I have noticed several first time posters here in this thread. And their first posts have not been favorable of the arbitrary change that was made in the latest patch. These are representative of the silent majority who they tell us play the game but do not post on the forums... Well, they are posting now, and some of them aren't playing.

I am sorry, Dan... But it cannot be for the good of the game when it has such a massive negative effectn on the people who play. You guys need to get back to the roots of any business with a product to sell: The Customer Must Come First. I do not care what your asian overlords think. In asian culture, there is a predetermination to meticulous repetition for the sake of perfection. Look how many Asian kids display seemingly impossible talent in the arts compared to kids in western culture. This is a compliment to the level of discipline their culture has. But there is a very old saying: When in Rome, do as the Romans do... In Western culture we take a more laid back approach. Maybe that is not really so praiseworthy by comparrison, but that is an argument for another place and another time. Suffice to say many of us like to relax and enjoy our entertainment at our pace, doing what we choose to do with our time. At our jobs we have no choice but to meticulously work according to corporate directives and guidelines. We get paid to do that.

I do not like the idea that you guys want us to pay you to play a game that feels more like a second job. Dan, you said "We want players to do this" and "We want players to do that."

We do not work for you. You provide a product we enjoy and we will be happy to pay you for it. But you need to stop producing this in a way that makes players play how you want them to play. For one thing, the community becomes fractured, and another thing, people get bored. Both of these lead to people leaving and therefore not spending money.

So yes... I am with my fellow players who wish to take up the battle cry:

STOP THE FARM: BRING BACK THE FUN!

Dan, feel free to look at my account at how long it has been since I bought Zen or paid a subscription. You have not received money from me because NOTHING you offer is worth my money. I now return to the position I once held:

I want new official PLAYABLE Content that does not involve grinding. Either that or I want STO to adopt sandbox mechanics which present many gameplay systems that can play off of and with each other for emergent results which we the players can influence through our actions. Such systems will result in gameplay the has real meaning and substance and we the players can shape the future of the galaxy. I don't want a meatgrinder level sandbox like EvE. But a return to some of the sandbox principles that made games like Ultima Online and Star Wars Galaxies great. Yes Star Wars Galaxies was a great game before the same kind of short sighted executive level decisions Cryptic/PWE have been making destroyed it.

STO is by design a themepark game. Themepark games require playable content development to thrive. But we have developers who cannot make content development enough of a priority for more than a handfull of missions per year. Grindfests are the only thing that keep people seeking some sort of achievement, or reward for effort, in the game. But many, as evidenced in this thread hate it. They do it not because the want to, but because it is the only path to take.

So Cryptic, since bottom lines are all you care about, here's MY personal bottom line: If you want my money, you must EARN it. I'm not just going to give it to you.

And on that note, I bid you all good evening.
I personally want a Star Trek game that is actually Star Trek. On a qualitative level that could be a lot of different things for a lot of different people. But on a quantitative level, if the developers were to watch star trek and make the game like what they see, then at least it will be a shot in the right direction, as far as I am concerned.

Last edited by sirsitsalot; 02-17-2013 at 09:10 PM.