View Single Post
Career Officer
# 2555
02-20-2013, 03:33 PM
I have to say overlord, I completely agree with your long summary on the game as it stands. The main thing that keeps me coming back to this game is my friends, my fleet and the fact that it is Star Trek.

I've played other MMOs in my time like FFXI (8 years), Guild Wars and even tried Eve. Now when I look at how they manage their games and deliver new content, it really sets a standard that Cryptic don't seem to live up to. I know Eve is quite an extreme to look at when it comes to a space MMO, but there are aspects of that game which could be utilized in a game like STO.

I've moved on from FFXI and I'm getting ready to beta test FFXIV 2.0 - SE really got it wrong when they originally released FFXIV, much like Cryptic and despite this they made major changes to the game and re-introduced aspects of FFXI that worked and eventually shut down the game for a small period of time to prepare for the Alpha release of FFXIV 2.0 and after playing the Alpha release, it's really paid off IMO.

It's honestly getting to the point where I think a revamp of many aspects of this game would be worth it and re-introducing a Star Trek Online 2.0 to the community. I know Cryptic doesn't have as much power behind them as say Square Enix, so whether this would be possible, I honestly have no idea.

Either way, to avoid having to revamp the game and take servers offline, I think Cryptic have a lot of work on their hands to be getting on with, to deliver us a true Trek game.

"We're doing it wrong, but it's working...."