View Single Post
Captain
# 235
02-22-2013, 06:42 PM
Each of my Captains has a specific theme for naming their ships, mostly to avoid naming paralysis upon acquisition of a new ship.

Captain: Grimwerth "Grim" Furrowson
Divinsion: Science
Ship: U.S.S. Valravn (Vesta-class)
Theme: Mythological creatures

-Notes-

The valravn is a supernatural raven that hails from Danish folklore, depicted as turning into a knight upon consumption of the heart of a child, or alternately, as half-wolf and half-raven creatures.

Captain: V'lir Saakuna
Divinsion: Tactical
Ship 1: U.S.S. Leodegrance (Luna-class)
Ship 2: U.S.S. Agravain (Chel'Gret-class)
Theme: Knights of the Round Table

-Notes-

In Arthurian legend, Leodegrance is the father of Queen Guinevere and entrusted with keeping the Round table following the death of Uther Pendragon, King Arthur's father. Agravain, brother to the knights Gawain and Gareth, is often something of a not-always unsympathetic heel, and in later tellings usually plays a pivotal role, along with Mordred, in the exposure of Lancelot and Guinevere's affair.

Captain: Pasdack
Ship: U.S.S. V?li (Sovereign-class)
Theme: Norse gods

-Notes-

V?li is the son of Odin and the giantess Rindir, birthed to kill H??r for his accidental killing of his twin brother, Baldr.

Captain: Foafi
Ship 1: I.K.S. G?e Derg (Hegh'ta-class)
Ship 2: I.K.S. G?e Buide (Fleet Norgh-class)
Ship 3: I.K.S. G?e Bolg (Mirror Qin-class)
Ship 4: I.K.S. L?in Celtchair (Mirror Vor'cha-class)
Theme: Spears of Irish Mythology

-Notes-

The pair of Birds of Prey, G?e Derg (the larger, red spear) and G?e Buide (the shorter, yellow spear) are named after the twin spears wielded by Diarmuid Ua Duibhne, a character hailing from the Fenian cycle of Irish mythology, and were famed for delivering a wound none could recover from. The Qin, G?e Bolg (traditionally translated as "Belly Spear") was a spear wielded by the hero C? Chulainn who appears in the Ulster cycle of Irish mythology and famed for needing to be cut out of a person as, once stabbed by it, it would send barbs out through the victim's body piercing every one of its joints. L?in Celtchair is a famous fiery lance or spear belonging to Celtchar mac Uthechar and appearing in the Ulster cycle. It is also quite famous for having such great bloodlust that it must be dipped in a cauldron of poisoned blood to be controlled or it would kill the wielder of it.
If you feel Keel'el's effect is well designed, please, for your own safety, be very careful around shallow pools of water.