View Single Post
Captain
# 7
02-25-2013, 02:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingmaster View Post
Off the top of my head, it's the lvls 1-20 thing (and I doubt Cryptic would allow brand new players to just go straight for a lvl 25 KDF toon without 'unlocking' it first)
And that's what's holding back popularity. Not "uncompleteness", but Cryptic's unwillingness to simply allow people to dive in. I have found that across all games, a LOT of people get very invested in their first character, even when it's a really awful one. By enforcing that the first character be a Fed character, you've essentially pushed most everyone's first loyalties to the Fed side.

The 1-20 thing? Meh. Who needs those levels anyway? I hate tutorials. You want your hand held, you go play Fed.

Quote:
Everything's written from the perspective of the Federation, with a paltry KDF wrapper thrown on for KDF players.
Disagree. If anything, things are written from the perspective of the Klingons, with a paltry Fed wrapper thrown on top: Otherwise, why do we keep BLOWING EVERYTHING UP? In the course of one mission, you're going to destroy more ships and kill more people than any of the on-screen captains did in their entire careers. The wanton destruction and violence makes far more sense as a Klingon than as a Fed.

Quote:
I wouldn't mind another storyline arc, to be honest, something written from the KDF perspective (like the Fek'lhri one). If they widen the faction back out to 1-50, we'll need 1-2 more anyways.
The Fek'lhri arc was easily one of both the best and the worst-written episodes. On one hand, it was distinctly Klingon in tone and perspective...but on the other hand, it was distinctly KLINGON in tone and perspective, less so KDF, which now consists of a large number of decidedly non-Klingons. If you were playing as a Klingon with a crew of Klingons, it was great...if you weren't, it was painful. Unlike the Federation, where Fedlings share a generally bland perspective on everything with only a few exceptions, the KDF is clearly non-homogenous, and to be a good *KDF* story as opposed to simply a *KLINGON* story, it needs to reflect that.