View Single Post
Career Officer
# 7
02-25-2013, 09:52 AM
Hi Bort,

This is great news, really great.

You're going to get deluged with ideas and criticisms, so I just want to say that seeing there is this much consideration alone is a step in the right direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
1) Max Hitpoints/Shields Increases

The recent thread titled "Spike vs. Pressure" paints a picture that seems to indicate that this would end up being a bad thing for Space PvP, resulting in the very real possibility of matches where ships never died. However, we've yet to see any evidence that this would be anything other than a good thing for Ground PvP.
I agree with the first assertion, that there would literally be situations where killing someone might likely be impossible.

Ground PvP I am very very new to. I'll leave this primarily to real ground pvpers but as a pvp ground bootcamp I'll put a few ideas forward that may or may not be totally accurate:

1) As a tac this would be good, because I would no longer get instant-popped as easily as I can instant-pop others.

2) As a tac I have "super buff" available to instant pop someone, but I don't think I have a consistent offense - I think it would need testing to see if there is still enough DPS there to wear down another tankier player. But really, my experience here is completely limited.

Quote:
2) Healing -OR- Damage Output Decreases

Applying Healing effectiveness reduction to PvP maps would lead to extremely volatile matches unless it came hand-in-hand with limitations to Spike Damage potential. While limiting overall damage output would likely be a bad idea because it impacts "Pressure" DPS more profoundly than "Spike" -- not a great idea to exacerbate this issue. This probably means that this option is even less likely to be a good idea, than the previous notion. At least for Space PvP.

I think the biggest culprit at the moment is passive healing and passive resistances that come from gear, DOFFs, rep powers, etc.

It's hard to keep track of, it's harder to overcome, it doesn't require any effort to activate and maintain in combat and it marginalizes actual healers/buffers.

So rather than directly tone down specific BOFF powers, I think you might want to limit stacking of passives in someway - with the caveat that you make this kind of build limitation clearly visible in the UI for players to properly understand what they have and do not have.

There are also some overperformers, such as the 10s tactical debuff cleanse that TT provides. This alone would open up options for better use of APB & APD (FOMM still gets cleansed instantly unfortunately, as it cannot be reapplied again, the same goes for Sensor Scan).

Quote:
3) Reduction in Status Ability Effectiveness -OR- the Resistance Thereof

Presume that the term "Status" refers to just about anything that is not Damage. Buffs, Debuffs, Repel, Disable, Confuse, etc.

In PvP however, the combination of extreme skill stacking and high resistance factors, cause us difficulty when attempting to find the correct balance point of an ability's effectiveness. We have therefore theorized that allowing us to limit one side of the equation or the other, ONLY in PvP, might allow us to tune these abilities in a more focused, controlled manner.

I think that's a good idea, but it needs to be surgical in application vs. any one specific status effect as some of them are in decent place, some are overperforming and others are underperforming.

Thanks for starting this conversation, my one real request is that when some of these ideas eventually go to tribble - that they do in fact actually go to tribble, and the PvP community has a chance to test it and give feedback.

This really needs to be a slow, patient process.

One of the biggest sources of complaints are changes that suddenly get pushed to live and we have to deal with until we are lucky enough to have the items on the table again.

Last edited by ussultimatum; 02-25-2013 at 09:54 AM.