View Single Post
Captain
# 18
02-25-2013, 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
With that in mind, here are a couple of the map-wide modifications we've been considering:

1) Max Hitpoints/Shields Increases
2) Healing -OR- Damage Output Decreases
3) Reduction in Status Ability Effectiveness -OR- the Resistance Thereof
First, let me say that I believe any game that is going to include PvP should be PvP focused (no matter how small that PvP aspect is)...to which some will go WTF? What I mean by saying that is: design around Player vs. Player interaction when designing the Player vs. Environment interaction. If you look at player damage, player health, player abilities, player etc as as player against a player - that will give you your baseline. From there, you can design PvE encounters - easier/casual, normal, more difficult, OMFG-I guess I need friends and to L2P. I haven't seen anybody do that...so inevitably it always comes down to separate gear, various stat modifiers, etc, etc, etc.

That last bit being said, I have to say I appreciate the idea of looking at map modifiers instead of other avenues/paths others have taken. Course, I fully expect that to be the case with the potential PvP Reputation...and have to wonder how that's going to play out with PvP gear in PvE, blah, blah, blah... but that's neither here nor there at the moment... just something to keep in mind how it all plays out together.

So...these three things. Just from a Space point of view, mind you - I haven't done Ground in over a year.

Quote:
Increase hull/shields - without increasing resistances. Bare buffer.

Quote:
Reduce magic wand yo-yo healing.

Quote:
Limit cleanse/debuff to a certain number. No full cleanse/no full strip.

But it's along the lines of an all-or-nothing sort of thing:

Quote:
Doing one without the others could throw things all over the place - resulting in all sorts of issues. However, doing them together...well...might just give it more of a Star Trek feel.

You can increase the value of pressure damage without reducing the need for spike damage. If anything, the changes would offer a chance for that synergy between pressure and spike to show again...rather having pressure sitting over in the corner while spike shakes his booty with both girls at the dance.

With so much designed around the magic wand healing in the game - toning that down without also trying to balance that with increased bare buffer would result in headshot boom games. You'd have a Space FPS.

Many abilities fall into that yo-yo (extreme) scenario...making those less extreme...

I guess that's the gist of it. Less extreme. Upper and lower bounds, definitely - definitely - but not this case of the light switch being On or Off... STO needs some mood lighting - STO needs a Dimmer switch, not just On/Off. There's that area in the middle that's missing.

Right now, it's a dance of Yo-Yo's...it's like watching Soccer or Hockey. It's like watching two guys with sword and board where somebody from each side is throwing banana peels and somebody's trying to work a broom. It's not Fencing, not Boxing, not Basketball, not even Baseball... it's kind of boring. It lacks Epic.

And if you don't bring the same-same...you'll get slaughtered, because that's what it is.

It's not about making everything viable - but with those three changes, you could definitely introduce variety. Because it wouldn't just be Yo-Yo Online.
Maal, Klingon, Mogh - Vegar, Orion, Marauder - R'ebel, Romulan, Haakona
Willard the Rat, Reman, F.T'varo - Rave, J.Trill, Kar'Fi - Mysk, Gorn, Varanus
Kopor, Nausicaan, Guramba - Nivuh, Ferasan, B'rel - Venit, Lethean, M.Qin