View Single Post
Commander
# 10
02-25-2013, 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amayakitsune View Post
Nothing youve mentioned could possibly qualify as PhysX... because PhysX needs an Nvidia GFX card to even work... and I can see everyone of those balloons and pieces of debris on the ground... and I have an HD3000 card from Intel... I have no doubt that they employ some sort of physics engine but its not PhysX...

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/physx
PhysX calculations will run in software mode (I.e. on your CPU) if there is no dedicated hardware solution.

It makes a huge difference on older machines....if I disable PhysX on my 9600GT my poor 6 year old dual core can't handle large amounts of objects onscreen at once - star base tribbles are especially bad. With PhysX enable there is no slowdown whatsoever.

So yeah, STO unquestionably uses PhysX for certain objects. I for one would not look forward to a DX11 centric solution as I would have to drop some cash on new hardware.

That being said, PhysX is indeed dead/dying, for the excellent reasons already stated above, and good riddance, hardware agnostic solutions have always been preferable to proprietary optimizations.

edit: just tested, again in fleet star base pile of tribbles. GPU usage with PhysX enabled was 100%, CPU usage averaged 37% and FPS over 2 minutes of kicking tribbles averaged 46.2. Same situation, new instance to use same tribble pile, PhysX off, GPU averaged 65% usage,CPU locked at 100% with fans going nuts, average of 12.7 FPS over 2 minutes. If I set debris and all physics settings to min/off, the results between PhysX enabled and disabled show a negligible difference.

PhysX is a complete physics SDK, like HAVOK. It doesn't require nVidia hardware to run, but its a helluva lot faster with it.

Last edited by jornado; 02-25-2013 at 11:53 AM.