View Single Post
Captain
# 108
02-25-2013, 06:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklysoldier View Post
Thanks! I haven't read his books but I looked up his bibliography on Wiki and it's definitely high praise to be compared to - I'm glad you liked it!
You're very welcome, and I really enjoyed the entry As an author, Lustbader is pretty formulaic in his approach, and most, if not all, his books feature a twin timeline, shifting between the two throughout the book till they conclude at the end (the flashback timeline never meets up to the beginning of 'the present', but is always related) but he does what he does very well, and uses excellent description and very well defined characters, and it was that characteristic which I was comparing your writing to, not his formulaic approach

Quote:
I read your story, and it was also impressive! I definitely didn't see the plot unfolding in that direction at all (especially not what happens with Lambert, nor the full nature of the Borg they found), and the reference to the Royal Protocol was a really nice touch, and the phrase "the One Who Is Many" as the Borg's own term for the Queen (since "Borg Queen" is just what the Hansens called her as an allusion to insects).
Thanks ^_^ I wanted to take a slightly different route than 'just another drone', remembered reading about the Royal Protocol, and thought it might be interesting to see what might happen if that process was somehow interrupted. And of course, in First Contact, she introduced herself as the One who is Many, I figure that could indeed be her designation, or at least a recognizable one ^_^

Quote:
The issue of trusting the new drone seemed to be resolved a little quickly, but she was already halfway an individual, and an individual with no loyalty to the Borg, so it does make sense on a second read (while making for some very vividly, appropriately icky visuals). And besides, as they say at weddings, "I'd like to think I haven't so much lost a Klingon as gained a fledgling Borg Queen!"
At this moment, Eleven is probably best described as an uncrowned Queen... She has not only the knowledge of the Collective, but all the capabilities of a Borg Queen, just no connection to the Collective. A potential mini-spoiler is that I am mentally debating the idea that Eleven really is One who is Many, but simply used the history of Holly Masters as a ruse to relieve suspicion (a bit like how in Master and Commander, the captain of a French vessel pretends to be the ship's doctor, and that the dead guy in front of him is the captain, so he can escape) after all, she would have the knowledge of millions of officers at her disposal, so would be able to concoct such a story at a moment's notice, and simply relied on Amanda's willingness to want to give the benefit of the doubt... Of course, that's just an idea, I'm really not sure how and where to go with Eleven from here, that is just one option I'm mulling over, she may indeed remain true to her story of being an assimilated officer... I may have her promoted to replace Lambert, I may have her brought to Starfleet Command for debriefing and then left in their hands, I really haven't decided how things will go there yet, I think that's why I felt the need to write a coda to the arc...