View Single Post
Captain
# 109
02-25-2013, 06:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulberat View Post
I had a little fun letting Alyosha remind N'Riuw that you can't always make guesses about someone based on stereotypes.
I know what you mean there, and very much so The line about not drinking was fantastically done, in that while Alyosha literally does not consume liquids, he could simply have been speaking from the perspective of a Tee Total Human who refused to drink alcohol

Quote:
I get the feeling that, however illogical it is, N'Riuw kept his eyepiece not just because he uses its functionality, but on some irrational level he feels like it's a big middle finger to the Borg any time they are dumb enough to hail his ship.
Equally, that very much makes sense ^_^

Quote:
His shapeshifting capabilities (to judge by "Time's Arrow") don't operate on the same principles as a Founder's, so I think that at least on a sensory level he is unchanged while in human form. That said, I think sometimes he restricts his visual field so as to avoid creeping people out by acting like he's got eyes in the back of his head. ("You behind me on the science station! Stop updating your Spacebook status and get back to work!")
Oh absolutely, it would make perfect sense that he would behave in as Human a manner as possible, so as to blend in and not cause distress, it was just interesting to see the world through his eyes ^_^

Quote:
I would figure that a being who evolved as he did would have some sense for the neural energy he is capable of feeding on. But I think that his upbringing and his beliefs give him a different sort of aesthetic appreciation than a "normal" Devidian, whose judgments would be more akin to judging the quality of wine as it goes down. Alyosha can appreciate it as it is, left alone "in nature," so to speak.

I'm not really sure whether his neuroelectric sense is a supplement to one of the five senses that we know as humans, or something else entirely, but he definitely does make aesthetic judgments about it.
Given the radical differences between Devidian and Human physiology, it would be logical for their senses to be as different, and differently focused One comparison, might be to the way in which Magneto is not only able to manipulate magnetic fields, but is actually aware of metals in their own right, rather than simply focusing a magnetic field in a set area, and manipulating whatever is in that region... Equally, it made me wonder how he would have perceived Marcus' bioelectrical energy, because as an immortal, his quickening would have been not only constantly regenerating his physical cellular structure, but also recharging itself as well, so to Alyosha, I can only imagine that would have appeared very different to most other beings...

Quote:
I'm not sure if th'Valek really sensed Alyosha's presence or not, since I don't know whether Aenar telepathy is SO powerful that it can sense things that are in a different phase. That said, Deanna Troi seemed to be able to sense the fear from the Devidians' victims in "Time's Arrow." Whether that was due to the triolic pattern enhancers, I'm not sure.

But if any non-Devidian would have a chance, it would be th'Valek, since Alyosha and Thraz are so close that they are almost like brothers.
From what I understand, Andorian antennae are sensitive to electrical fields and shifts in pressure, so what I was wondering, was if he had been aware of Alyosha by some kind of physical detection of his presence, rather than being telepathically aware of Alyosha's consciousness, even if only on a subconscious level. A bit like how people on paranormal investigations can claim to smell a scent, such as pipe tobacco or a particular aftershave. Sometimes not even aware of the connection it has to a loved one, but simply aware that they can smell something...