View Single Post
Captain
# 113
02-26-2013, 03:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulberat View Post
Exactly! Alyosha is Russian by culture, too, so I think sometimes on behalf of his countrymen he does get a bit annoyed with the "vodka and nuclear wessels" stereotype that I imagine Chekov did not exactly help with.
That's understandable, I would imagine that men like Yuri Gagarin are among his heroes

Quote:
(Add to that, the fact that Alyosha has no accent when he speaks English. Which in his case is due to his means of speech being entirely different from what it appears to be. So if he were to do the "nuclear wessels" thing, it would be an act.)
Equally understandable, someone who is fluent in a language will often speak with a 'natural accent', rather than their own accent tainting the language... Afterall, Jean-Luc Picard always spoke Federation standard without a French accent

Quote:
I would imagine that would appear very different to him, though I think he mainly sees the activity of the nervous system. Would that also be affected?
Only in so much as like the rest of the immortal's body, it would also be in a state of constant renewal. An immortal's nervous system works in the same way as a baseline Human's, and what is often perceived as an invulnerablity to pain, is simply a modification of the learned behaviour that pain is a warning or indicator of damage: For an immortal, any damage will heal perfectly, so damage is not a cause to act or move differently, for example, an immortal could run on a broken leg as soon as the bones have fused enough to structurally support them, regardless of the pain, as it will still heal properly, where if a baseline Human were to try running on a broken leg, it would considerably impact the healing process. Immortals are aware of damage and feel pain, they simply become accustomed to ignoring it.

Quote:
Also, is there any chance that Marcus would detect anything unusual about Alyosha?
I wouldn't think so, as the only different sense which immortals possess, is the ability to sense when another immortal is within a certain vicinity. I put that down to a harmonic resonance between the two quickenings. I think the only way Marcus would have been able to detect Alyosha as anything other than baseline Human, would have been if he had recently fed on another immortal and the neural energy had not been fully absorbed. Given Marcus' position as head of Starfleet Intelligence, I'm sure he would have crossed paths with Alyosha at some point prior to his death

Quote:
What I always wondered is how Alyosha and Meliden would've thought of each other since both are foundlings raised in Earth culture--though I can't imagine what would cause Meliden to be cleared to know Alyosha's species.
I think there would be the kinship of a shared experience, but I'm not sure how Alyosha would view Meliden's hard-drinking partying ways

Quote:
I'm not entirely sure if Aenar antennae work for the same purpose as the Andorians',
Ahh, that's certainly something to consider, I'm not sure if they do work the same...

Quote:
Alyosha's telepathy, as he said, is not all that strong. He doesn't have the kind of passive perception that Betazoids have--in most cases he has to deliberately focus on somebody in order to pick up any emotions or actually "speak" that way. It's more powerful with another Devidian, though the problem he has there is that he has absolutely zero understanding of their language (though he is capable of sending images and memories). But with a strong telepath--especially one with whom he is on almost brotherly terms--he is able to both "speak" and "hear" that way, which is why th'Valek was able to speak for him when he was so severely incapacitated in his first LC.
That would make sense that Alyosha would not understand other Devidians but still be able to communicate with them on a basic level, in the same manner in which Azera Xi does not appear to access the Collective in anyway, but can sometimes be influenced by it when tired. As a child, I read a series of novels where the protagonist's companion was a telepathic creature who was able to pick up on his surface thoughts. If he was to form thoughts of words like projections on a screen, she was able to 'hear' what he was thinking, as well as being able to project her own thoughts into his mind, so it would make sense that th'Valek would be what enabled the telepathic communication to take place, as the more powerful telepath.

Last edited by marcusdkane; 02-26-2013 at 03:58 AM.