View Single Post
Ensign
# 84
02-26-2013, 09:00 AM
Unfortunately, I think PvP is complex enough that it would not be straightforward to provide a more enjoyable experience by tweaking a set of global parameters. I suspect the main thing that would emerge is even more complexity of balance, and even more complexity of gameplay.

I've often heard it recommended that things should behave differently in PvE from PvP, with the best of intentions -- surely it would be simpler to work in an isolated environment to balance each? Well, perhaps it would in the beginning, by working from a cleaner slate, but I think the truth is that it is still one game. It is not as isolated as all that. Having separate behaviors literally doubles (or worse) the number of things that need to be considered for balance, and introduces the possibility of unintended bleed-through of effects from one to the other. It becomes very, very, very difficult indeed to determine if everything is working as desired in both situations.

And it must be taken into the account that, as the game continues to change (as it always will, with new gear, new abilities, new and unexplored design spaces), there will be emergent gameplay and gameplay trends that may not be foreseen through design. Any kind of tweaking must be continuously evaluated and reevaluated. That's the nature of gameplay, which can be highly sensitive to even small changes in abilities. Not that change is bad, by the way. Change is good, and the only way there can be improvement.

That said, I would welcome a Tribble environment test lab, where broad changes to how the game works could be experimented with, or specific adjustments to powers could be explored, with no commitment to bringing them in to the main game. I think this would benefit both PvE and PvP. But it does come with a considerable commitment of developer resources, to set it up and to run it.