View Single Post
Captain
# 115
02-26-2013, 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulberat View Post
I could see that, sure. I think that some of his "Russian heroes" are more literary heroes, too. People like Tolstoy, Solzhenitsyn, and Dostoyevsky...especially Dostoyevsky since he was actually named after Alyosha Karamazov.
That makes sense... Was Alyosha named by others, or did he choose his own name?

Quote:
Given that Alyosha would not do that (even if told it would be safe for the immortal), then that's definitely ruled out...

That could well be, especially given what Alyosha was used for when he was an ensign during the Dominion War. He was used as a courier to carry highly classified orders, since a Founder could not mimic his phase variance. Very few of the people he relayed messages for would have known that the reason he was used in this capacity was because he was Devidian, though. Marcus would probably have known, if he was high-ranked enough in the intelligence apparatus, though.
I think that while Marcus would have been aware that Alyosha was Devidian as a matter of record, he wouldn't have been able to distinguish him from a baseline Human, and it would probably have been something which barely registered to him, as Alyosha would pose no threat to his existence. A bat'leth-happy Klingon, on the other hand, would be a very real danger to him, and for this reason, he always had a taj'tiq concealed beneath his uniform jacket. On the flipside, I can imagine that Alyosha would immediately be aware that Marcus was not a baseline Human, and would probably perceive him as a kind of self-sustaining energy, even if not directly aware of what that meant... As a side thought to that, would the maturation process of a being even register to Alyosha's senses in the same way it would to a Human or Klingon? If you ever wish to write a historical piece showing such an interaction, as SparklySoldier did, please feel free to use him as a character

Quote:
I don't think he would criticize her unless she did something that had an impact while on duty (such as showing up to her shift with a hangover). He wouldn't approve of it or be interested in discussing those exploits, though. He'd hope the conversation would go to other topics.
I don't think she would be the kind to turn up hungover, but I think it's well known on the Valkyrie that she is not someone to challenge to a drinking competition If her clearance allowed, she would probably find Alyosha's feeding device to be an interesting piece of technology.

Quote:
It's kind of like that, yes...though the show and the game do show other Devidians besides Alyosha being capable of communicating in English. However, Alyosha doesn't understand their native language--heck, he may not even recognize it as language, since he thinks according to human languages.
As Human languages are all he has known since birth, it would make sense that he would think according to those languages and concepts, rather than having an instinctive knowledge of Devidian, and that would have the capacity to communicate with them, but no understanding of the language.

Quote:
I suspect his attempt to return the favor of a telepathic attack in his first LC seemed "infant-like" to the Devidians in addition to their contempt for the message Alyosha was trying to send them (what it is like to actually feel guilty for consuming a sentient being).
I think the fact that he tried to do that, is what sets him apart from his biological kinsmen, and will always make him the more evolved being

Last edited by marcusdkane; 02-26-2013 at 12:57 PM.