View Single Post
Captain
# 28
02-26-2013, 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
The "invisible" torpedoes are never High Yield. High Yield torpedo FX are on the Costume-draw budget, while standard Torpedo FX are on the FX budget. Guess which one caps out first? In fact, I've been led to believe that it's nearly impossible to cap out the Costume-draw budget.

Anyway, invisible NON-High Yield Torpedoes are a bane to us as Designers, as well. And we're working to reduce their frequency, and potency. We're currently working on a change that should have a noticable impact on the Borg's ability to one-shot (or come close).

That said, high Kinetic resistance is always, always, always a good idea. If you have an ability that increases it, you should be running it as frequently as possible when fighting the Borg.

This ability certainly suffers from FX-draw limitations, and can sometimes be very difficult to see in the midst of combat, possibly even invisible. We're recently been going through our higher-rank ships (like Borg Cubes, Tac Cubes, Transwarp Gates, etc) and reducing their Spread ranks from 3 down to 2 or 1 to reduce the raw damage and number of projectiles.

Off the top of my head, the only Energy weapons that should be capable of dealing massive damage in a single hit are those used by the Unimatrix Ships on Into The Hive. They have a power mechanic that is meant to keep players engaging both of them simultaneously - if you move out of range of either of them, they will Lance you which can frequently be a one-hit-kill. So just stay between them, and they can't use that ability.

The Queen and the Transwarp Gate (in Infected) are also capable of hitting very hard, but they shouldn't be reaching one-shot capacity. If anyone experiences this, please post a screenshot of your combat log.
Does this explain why during a KASE I got mysteriously one-shotted out of nowhere after I blew a gate? Though I recall that it had been gone for several seconds, I don't know if that's enough time for a torpedo spread to reach me if it was fired just before the gate exploded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by askray View Post
YAY I'M EVOLVED! *drools on his chin*
Quote:
Originally Posted by voporak View Post
Welcome to the STO forums, where the evolutionary clock ticks backwards.
Imperfection - a prequel to Ashkrik23's Perfection
Check out my STO Youtube channel!
Why are you hovering over my signature? Play my foundry missions! :-)