View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 117
02-27-2013, 10:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolninspace View Post
Then there's the fact that starfleet seems to be everywhere policing everyone. A society with no money is ore some money or whateve... Its like Gene Roddeny got an american company to make a communist tv show in space.
Well, in TNG and after the command officers wore red....

I think the problem is that a lot of things just weren't thought out too well, or thrown in just to make it look like humanity had become Utopian. The no money thing is a pet peeve of mine, but I have smaller ones....nost of them because they seem like they were just thrown out in a pandering kinda fashion, and don't in anyway matter to the plots. (YMMV, but trust me, I sincerely feel this way about the following. You may not want to read it if you're a die hard purist.)

Like "Humans no longer eat meat"....except when they do. O' Brien even talked about how his mother used to make lamb shanks or mutton or whatever. So I suppose there are entire continents on Earth filled with cows, sheep, chickens, etc since no one is eating them. Now I don't actually care if thats the way they want it, it just felt awkward when Riker said that in an early TNG episode and I knew it'd be contradicted sooner or later. I don't have anything against vegetarians I just find it difficult to believe the entirity of mankind decided "meat bad!".

Or the "Starfleet isn't military" thing. Except that they are. But not when they say they aren't. Phil Farrand had a page in one of his nitpicker's guides specifically nailing the contradictions in this. Of course this was said just to show how humans are no longer warlike conquerors. All fine and dandy, except military doesn't automatically equal bad evil guys that want to take your stuff and kill you. 23 years of active duty I can tell you we're the last guys to like going to war. I've never been on a deployment I wanted to go on and its pants crappingly scary to be shot at. I wish I still had those books...they were blown away with my entire house in a tornado.

It also makes the Federation look a bit niave. Several clearly hostile empires around you and you don't have a military? (except when you do, which is when they stop saying they aren't, but if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, you know the rest....)

I'm not even going to get started on the families on Starships thing. Sure it was merely a device for a few plots (Yay...Captain Picard Day! Admittedly I liked that episode) but it convinced me that Starfleet had officially lost its mind. I hope all those relatives of the people lost at Wolf 359 got some kind of compensation. Well, more holodeck time since no one has any money.

As for the threads original topic: I don't think any of what I said just now is possible either.