Career Officer
# 517
02-27-2013, 01:39 PM
Qapla! I got it running.

Here's what I'm running:

AMD FX8120 8-core processor
8GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM
Nvidia GeForce 9500GT 1GB w/ 310.14 driver
Peppermint OS 3 32-bit (based on Ubuntu 12.04)
Wine 1.4

After installing Wine, I ran Winetricks and installed corefonts, IE8 and vcrun2008. Then I installed and patched the game. Upon launch, it gives me an error saying I'm running an unrecognized video card and it may not run, but it does. I'm running it in normal graphics mode.

The initial launch took longer than in Windows. But, it finally started. I'm running it in the "recommended" graphics mode (the slider is 2/3 of the way over) in 1600x900 and it runs like a champ. I put the slider all the way up and it was running a bit rough, but I slid it back down and it's great. The sound has a bit of stuttering, but I'm not worried about that. I'm just glad the game runs. I didn't do much more than run around Starfleet Academy with one of my toons, though. I'll do more playing later.

The only other weird thing it does is it crashes when I exit, but that doesn't seem to affect anything.

All of my attempts to get it running in 64-bit Linux have been disastrous, even with only Wine 32-bit installed. But, since the game is 32-bit and I'm running a PAE kernel (so that it will recognize all of my RAM) I'm not worried about it. I dual boot anyway, so I have a 64-bit Linux distribution installed on my other partition for doing tasks that require 64-bit support.