View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 124
02-27-2013, 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxvitor View Post
Oh hell I can't remember the number of times I got the strap in school, but it did get the message across, pain is an excellent motivator for behavioral modification.
I remember my grandmother telling me to go outside and get a "switch" so she could tan my behind. Back in about 2000 I was in the commisary at EUCOM Patch Barracks in Stuttgart and I ran into a friend of mine. His daughter was about five I think. She was acting up, like young kids will do and he reached down and patted her on the butt saying "Behave!". I mean pat. It wasn't a hit or a swat. It was a gentle pat. The kid didn't cry, she just said "Ok, daddy".

The next day he tells me someone called Child Protective Services because they saw him beating his child in the Commisary. I couldn't believe it anymore than he could. Since I was there I had to give a statement about it, too. I mean, geez, I knew the guy...we worked together. He was a good guy. He didn't mistreat his kids, in fact all he talked about was how he loved having kids.

But this is a touchy subject, and best not continued here. It'll only get the thread closed when people get upset on any side of the argument.