View Single Post
Captain
# 126
02-27-2013, 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxvitor View Post
Back on the subject I realize that Star Trek's moneyless economy sounds unrealistic, it does sound like communism but it's communism how it should be, not how it was perverted by our communists, there would be no working class providing and elite class reaping the benefits, everyone would be on the same level, it's hard to conceive of it living in the world we live in, we don't have the technology that would take care of the unpleasant drudgery without human involvement.
And it could be said that Star Trek's economy is a false one, humans living in luxury on a garden world while all of the backbreaking labor is handled off world in remote mining and manufacturing colonies. The society's dirty underside being hidden off world, but not eliminated.
There clearly would have to be some medium for barter and exchange, but imagine one where this currency represents only the value of goods and there is no 3rd party scrapping off the top accumulating wealth while producing nothing.
I know it's a dream but I can't say it would be bad living in a world where we are not indentured servants of the Rockefellers.
I agree completely. Though someday we may have robots and AIs doing a lot of the dirty work.
"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
-- Q