View Single Post
Career Officer
# 94
02-28-2013, 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
And with the weapons and replicators present, once a culture has that technology (and you can replicate a replicator or there'd be no self-replicating mines), I'd think traditional empires like the Klingons or Romulans would be very difficult as subjugating a world with replicators is nigh impossible.
Replicators are not magic; They take energy run and raw material to form into useful objects; And some objects are either too complicated to make (long chain molecules; the reason why replicated food doesn't taste quite like the real thing) or the stuff that makes it up can't be manipulated by a replicator (like latinum). Governments in Star Trek would work just like they do today: Organizations which live and die by the control of resources.

It has never been stated where the empires in Star Trek get their antimatter from. Good Fiction never breaks more rules (physics in Sci-Fi's case) than is necessary. Therefore it can be assumed star empires control antimatter production facilities which orbit stars and mine gas giants for fusion reactor fuel (and mine dead planets, asteroids, etc, for raw materials).

Having a replicator is nice, but all it does is shift around what work needs to be done. Most efforts will be shifted to resource gathering since you don't need Ford or Honda to make your car for you, but you still need the designers from Ford or Honda to make new car designs.