View Single Post
Cryptic Studios Team
# 522
03-03-2013, 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilgenius180 View Post
Emulator or not, it adds an other layer between the game and your graphics card. Under normal circumstances, you have these layers: hardware > kernel > OS > program. With WINE, you have WINE added between the OS and the program. But, it's manageable if you know how to tweak it.
From my point of view it's more like...

hardware > kernel mode drivers / kernel > OS > user mode drivers > API (DirectX) > program

Which then just becomes...

hardware > kernel mode drivers / kernel > OS > user mode drivers > API (OpenGL) > WINE > WINE's user mode driver stand-in > API (DirectX) > program

(All parts marked in red being common points of errors or performance loss.)

Quote:
Example: I opened up Winetricks and made sure WINE knows I have 1024 MB graphics RAM by manually telling it I do. Then I launched the game and went to "Troubleshooting" under "Video" and reset the graphics memory from "Auto" to "1024+" and that fixed a lot of the issues I was having. I can now run it at nearly maximum settings with no issues. I still only have "Low" as max for the shadows, but I was able to turn on dynamic lighting, AA, and a lot of other "prettiness" settings without a loss in performance. So, I'm happy. The shadow quality isn't that big a deal for me.
Sweet!

When I have time, I'll look into adding more workarounds for the shadow issues under WINE. I don't know when that time will be, because we're swamped with work on both STO and Neverwinter right now. Shadow quality is a big deal to me.