Shield absorbtion of kinetic damage?
View Single Post
Join Date: Feb 2013
03-04-2013, 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by
If shields are up, regardless of damage type, 10% of the hit will bleed-through to the hull (5% if the target has a resilient shield).
Kinetic damage against shields (IE the part of the hit that is applied to shields while a target's shields are still up) is reduced by a huge amount (off the top of my head I believe it's 80% but I'm not completely certain). Non-kinetic damage is applied normally to shields.
I have recently noticed that quantum torpedoes and mines (however it's ONLY the Quantum torpedoes/mines) states they have 20% penetration of shields. That's probably from where you got that 80% reduction of torpedoes against shields?
Kind of it renders the values stated earlier as wrong.
So what do we know so far?
1) Quantum torpedoes and mines damages shielded hull with 20% of their DPV (according their description)
2) Other torpedoes/mines doesn't mention their shield penetration. I expect it to be either 10% (same as bleedthrough) or 20% (same as Quantum torpedoes)
3) The damage caused to shields themselves is unknown, but according to my experience its unlikely that their damage to shields is the remaining 80% of their DPV.
4) It's very likely that only part of the remaining 80% of the torpedo/mine DPV damages the shields, and the rest vanishes (i.e. is absorbed)
5) Transphasic torpedoes states to have 40% penetration "bonus" against shields (basic penetration is unknown), so I expect trashasic torpedoes making a damage against shielded hull between 40%-60% of their DPV
6) The remaining 60%-40% of Transphasic torpedo DPV is expected to be partially absorbed and partially damaging the shields themselves (the ratio of "shieldDamage:absorbtion" is unknown)
7) Transphasic mines states to have 80% penetration against shields, so their damage against shielded hull is expected to be at 80% of their DPV
8) The remaining 20% of Transphasic mine DPV is expected to be partially absorbed and partially damaging the shields themselves (the ratio of "shieldDamage:absorbtion" is unknown)