View Single Post
Empire Veteran
# 65
03-06-2013, 11:09 AM
Well, Ok, I did some digging, and it took a damd long time to find the info.

I went looking for Romulan player numbers for the Starfleet Command series.

SFC-II, and Orion Pirates in Dynaverse play.
Federation 60%, Klingons 15% Romulan 7% Gorn 5% Kizinti, 5%, Lyran 5% Hydran 3%
(Orion players in Dynaverse play of SFC-II:OP tended to be player second accounts as they didn't really have a direct interaction with the player empires)

In SFC-III
Federation 35% Klingon 25% Romulan 15%, Borg 25%

Yep, Rommies are sexy.. but not quite THAT sexy. Still, in the long term I would like to see a strong Romulan faction in STO. In SFC-III they were behind the Klingons for numbers, whio were in a dead heat with the Borg, with Federation having the largest numbers, but not by much.

The SFC-III numbers though are the ones I consider the most important. SFC-III in multiplayer dynaverse play was purely a territorial game. Most fights were one on one, but the game had a mechanic where other players could warp in in the middle of a fight.
It tended to be wild and wolly. In the single player game only the Federation, Klingon, and Romulans had a story arc. The Borg were strictly reserved for monster play in multiplayer.

It looks at this point that even if the KDF does not get its polishing this May, it IS going to happen before the Romulans are introduced. I suspect if the KDF numbers don't come up, it is likely the Romulans will get introduced as a player faction before the massive change that territorial PvP would intoduce gets added. The reason they would get introduced would be to dulute Federation numbers. KDF would loose some players to RSE faction, but the majority would come from the Federation. In multoplayer PvP the KDF and RSE would tend to be allied against the Federation, even though in the games historical universe they would decidedly unfriendly to each other. Thats going to happen because both sides even together would still be massivly outnumbered by the federation players.. but with the percentage of PvP player being much larger in the KDF and RSE factions there would be a greater chance for overall parity in actuall PvP. Players in multiplayer are not that dumb.. the RSE and KDF would ally. If they don't the Federation either taked them each down in isolation, gaining what ever faction benifit this provides, or to prevent it, we dont have persistant territorial PvP but some sort of expandeded arena combat over what we have now.

What we won't have is a meta "War" game.. just a score board, which is not something thats going to have any draw what so ever for the non PvP crowd. Call me spoiled by the other war games I've played over the decades, but abstract score board type player combat just isn't as satisfying as getting inthere and taking territory, and then having to fight to hold it. Non combat elements could be incorporated to involve the PvE crowd.. Diplomacy, non combat missions. PvE combat missions, and PvEvP opjective missions.

Sooner the KDF is done, the sooner that STO can move on to bigger and better things.

Khemaraa sends
Release 8.5 "STO The Next Generation"

Let the happy old bug stomping commence, along with refinement toward enhancing each factions play experience!