View Single Post
Captain
# 24
03-11-2013, 02:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post

I'm also curious, if I can poll you guys quickly... the Tachyon Mine launcher has been around for a year or so now. Why is it only now being frequently mentioned as a balance issue? Were they always OP, and just nobody knew or understood their power? Or was there a vital change to the overall structure of ships and their associated builds, that threw these into the forefront of effectiveness? I can tell you with certainty that their mechanics haven't been touched or tweaked since the Mine Revamp, which was several months ago, and before that there were nearly no changes since they first went live. So... why is it only now becoming an issue, do you think?
It takes along time for a community to reach a consensus about what is op and what is up. Individual players not so much but they can be drowned out by those who do not have as deep of an understanding of the game mechanics or what have you.

As to why they are OP that is simple. They provide a penalty to shield resist, that creates a multiplier that increases the damage against the target. By contrast the drains from Sci Boffs are just a strait up damage or a plus damage against the target. Multipliers are always much more likely to be over powered than a simple plus. You also see this in STFs when a team is packing several copies of attack pattern beta the damage goes threw the roof. On that note the only reason that is not an issue in PvP is the dominance of Tactical Team which clears the APB debuff. If 4 out of 5 did not slot Tac Team I promise you APB would be considered over powered in a heart beat.
Get yer Fleet Gear here!
Military 5 / Engineering 4 / Science 4
Starbase 5 / Embassy 3 / Mine 3 / Spire 3
Diplomacy 3 / Recruit 3 / Trade 3 / Development 3 / Research 3 / Operations 3
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1#post16435781