View Single Post
Captain
# 8
03-12-2013, 07:06 AM
Firstly, apoloies for missing your post previously, it was not my intention to ignore it

Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post
She still would have had an impact - she would have sparked an investigation, probably cost a bus driver his job or license, raised the fleet insurance on the buses, etc. But she was already pulled out of the timeline - she had no impact because she was never there, and any impact she had already happened.
Ahh, I see what you mean, impacting by omission...

Quote:
You have to consider that the ships both should have been visible to an observer (and easily detected on military or space program sensors), the explosion would have been extremely visible
Got to disagree on 'extremely visible'... Yes, the sphere was visible to the naked eye, but it was only because Lily happened to be looking in that direction, there weren't any denizens of the town running around prior to the attack pointing and staring... As for the military or space programs, there probably weren't any, as Riker noted...

Quote:
and as for spectacular, the yield of the weapons involved would have far exceeded the yield of any nuclear weapons Earth was suggested to possess - a photon torpedo already approximates the yield of the largest nuclear weapon ever used. Quantum torpedo yield is never established in canon, but exceeds that.
As above yes, the explosion was probably visible if someone was looking directly at it... It might've been enough for people to think 'What was that?" but then carry on with their business... (which in North America, would have likely been sleeping or having evening meals...) I doubt anyone in the UK, for example, would have seen it... What I was meaning by 'not spectacular', was that it was hardly as if the sphere and the Enterprise were fighting in the same way as which the Enterprise had been fighting the cube, with phasers and torpedoes everywhere

Quote:
The fragments that survived the landing were large enough to establish the shape and size of the ship. They extended many meters into the air and the debris field spread for kilometers. The large chunk we saw would on its own be one of the largest objects to enter Earth's atmosphere in recorded history, and the largest since photography became so ubiquitous. For some comparison, an object less than a meter across, orders of magnitude lower in mass, recently entered the atmosphere near England and at least fifty separate videos captured its passing.
Yes, that is true, as with the recent events in Russia as well, but, I'm not sure how many people at that time would have had access to handheld cameras etc... I'm sure there might have been some observers, but likely none who thought it anything more than a damaged satellite.

Quote:
Vulcans were also able to detect the passing of a ship, not just its presence.
Where they though? Would the ship's sensors have been sensitive enough to do that?

Quote:
Not to mention debris - from the sphere's explosion, battle damage to both craft, from the Enterprise's destroyed deflector, a couple Borg/Borg body parts that drifted off into independent orbits, not to mention any other objects that got drawn through along with the Sphere and Enterprise - they were coming out of a battlezone with multiple destroyed ships and it's clearly possible for objects outside of the sphere to cross with it. Not believing in time travel would only mean they'd never figure out what happened, they'd still have the mystery.
Hmm, I guess that's possible...