Thread: Size Comparison
View Single Post
Career Officer
# 19
03-14-2013, 12:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
Psst, you looked at the parking lot outside the Shipyard Window? Just saying.

Well that was only true when they were filming with the studio models and having to guestimate sizes. But once they started using the CGI models, pretty much the issue with different scales stopped.

Have you guys thought about contacting Doug Drexler to get a copy of the actual Star Trek CGI Models to use for measurements or to help increase modeling accuracy with the low poly models? I know they used 3D Max for those models, because I got my hands on a copy of the Enterprise-Refit Model they used in the remastery of TMP.
Honestly, I do not believe switch to CGI models changed anything. For instance, if they did a shot in CGI and decided the ship looked too close, they could simply scale-down one of the ships. Just like real models, you pretty much never get a shot with CGI models where you know for certain what size a ship is in comparison to another ship.

Even when a ship passes another ship directly above/below or to the side, all you know is the minimum relative size, not the actual size. In my opinion, CGI does not change anything whatsoever because the artists are only using whatever size they think looks right for the shot. You can see this in play with the size inconsistencies of the Jem'Hadar battleship, which was entirely done in CGI.