View Single Post
Captain
# 5
03-15-2013, 12:50 AM
Early on I experimented with using generic bonuses to allow for multiple energy types. The end result in dps was significantly lower than an all-one type of energy output.

I used ACT to measure the output and compare.

If all I was looking for dps, moving to a single energy type and console is the better route.

But I was interested in more than just output. I thought that perhaps a 1-2 punch of two types of energy might be an interesting combo to throw opponents off guard. Keep in mind I am talking about PvE, and it was early in my first game.

The 1-2 strategy did give me some benefits. When one type saw resistance, the second saw traction. This ended when we got to the stage of doing STF's.

People's reaction to 'rainbow' boats aside, the dual strategy against the borg was ineffective. It didn't take me long to realize that I needed a weapons upgrade. Math decided that at least using a single stacking console type was the better route to go. The gave out to replacing to one type of weapon.

Over time you listen to those you play with. Antiproton was the latest and greatest, so I went antiproton. Over time it became clear that any energy type could be used effectively. Today I use romulan plasma and the elite fed Phasers (on different ships of course).

The reality is unless you know who you're fighting, you cannot guage weaknesses. As you grind - and lord knows you will grind - you'll settle on the one that works best for you.

My Two Bits

Admiral Thrax
HAIL HYDRA! Kirk's Protege 10/26/13 http://www.dtfleet.com