View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-15-2013, 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptvanor View Post
That's only true if you bought it after they started offering the Zen. For many people Zen or even C-Points didn't exist then. That stipend didn't exist at that time so it couldn't of been included.

If the stipend was part of the deal when you got the LTS you might have a point, but if it wasn't, then no your logic completely falls apart. I can't pay for something that didn't exist.

Even then, the LTS isn't paying for that stipend, the cost is to buy unlimited access to the game for the life of the game. They don't have a stipend and No Stipend version. You're paying the same amount for access regardless of the stipend.

So in this case at least for some people that 500 zen is free, they didn't pay anything for it, so it is by any reasonable definition of the word free. Even if it was part of the package I still say it's free, because you didn't have to pay anything extra for it.

It's like saying a buy one, get one free, isn't really free. If I pay X for Y but get 2 times Y, I got something for free. I'd have to pay X for Y no matter what, so I am in fact getting something for free, because I did not have to pay for that 2nd Y.
But it's not really free. You bought two items at a 50% discount. The only difference between a BOGO sale and a 50% off sale is not letting you get the discount on a single item.

Likewise, the LTS purchase was buying a subscription for every month that the game continues to operate. The actual amount of discount will only be known when the game shuts down. It is possible to calculate points at which one would spend less by buying an LTS vs recurring subscriptions. To someone who gives up on the game before the break-even point - and subscription-tenure statistics even for healthy, expanding games suggest that's probably the majority - an LTS isn't even a discount.
Continuing to provide the services covered under the LTS past the break-even point isn't some sort of gift. It's the other side of the wager.

And anyone who claims the stipend is "free" needs to go ask silver players how much their stipend is. It's not free, it's paid for as part of the subscription.
SQUIRREL!
-----------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
Sarcastic Venom Award!!!!
Bitter old mollusc since before the forum change.