View Single Post
Captain
# 143
03-16-2013, 08:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklysoldier View Post
@gulberat: I like your first-person narrative style, and how smoothly you work observations about the world around Alyosha into his thoughts as he tells the story. And it's the return of Marcus Kane! This is a surprisingly dark take on the Federation (which makes setting it on DS9 a nice thematic touch), but one that gives lots of insight into both their characters.
Thanks! I don't always take the kindest view of the Federation, and when Marcus told me about that incident that happened to his character, it only reinforced my impressions.

I would also add that in canon the Academy was involved in a lot of shady business during the time frame when Alyosha was there. You had two super-elite units allowed to run amok and get so full of themselves that they got people killed or did serious damage: Nova Squadron and Red Squad. And you had the commandant of the Academy soon involved in sending cadets on a mission to the front lines, during the Dominion War (Valiant), from a unit already disgraced after the attempted coup on Earth.

So to judge from DS9, something was really rotten at Starfleet Academy, which made me think the commandant was just a flat out tool. That's why I wrote him that way.

You may have noticed Lieutenant Quinn's discomfort, though. I thought that having witnessed that incident--and being very uncomfortable with the way Chaxx was acting (and maybe regretting not taking a more direct role in stopping it) would explain why Admiral Quinn, by 2409, demonstrates a trusting, mentoring attitude towards Alyosha rather than a prejudiced one. Why he accepts Alyosha on his merits.

As for Kane--well, marcusdkane deserves the lion's share of the credit for that.
Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM me for more. :-)

Sig by gulberat. Avatar credit to balsavor.deviantart.com