View Single Post
Captain
# 151
03-17-2013, 09:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklysoldier View Post
That's a good point about the Academy having its own frat-like societies, and how dissolving the command track could have helped break their hold on Starfleet's culture. I wonder if Voyager was an early step in that direction, and the inspiration for that mechanic in STO: the show emphasized Janeway having been a science officer, and they described Voyager itself as a science ship (and, in the same time frame, the Defiant as a tactical ship), as opposed to the Enterprise as a ship-of-all-trades.
Exactly.

Quote:
It's easy to imagine how, with that sort of specialization already emerging and with command cliques like Nova Squadron causing disastrous scandals, and with the Federation already moving toward a more versatile culture with the dual citizenship program and flexible uniform requirements (for more Zen shop costu... I mean, to reflect a greater tolerance for different cultures ), the decision to let any career track segue into a command role based on merit alone would become the norm.
If "Tapestry" is any indication, to be science track was looked at badly AND a career dead end. Seeing what happened to Picard in that alternate timeline makes it very clear to me that something major had to have changed on the way to 2409.
Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM me for more. :-)

Sig by gulberat. Avatar credit to balsavor.deviantart.com