View Single Post
Captain
# 158
03-19-2013, 07:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklysoldier View Post
Thanks! Since the last few stories had been so dark and focused on the Borg, I wanted to give the crew a chance to relax and just have a "day in the life" story where we can get to know them better. Corspa in particular really came to life for me as I wrote her: she's so much the team mom of the group that seeing both her proud and vulnerable side added more to her character than I'd ever planned.
It really did work nicely, and again, the present/flashback continuities reminded me again of Eric Lustbader's works I thought all the characters worked really nicely, but I totally understand what you mean about writing Corspa, as I found a similar thing with writing Lieutenant Mayer, and surprisingly, he's developed into a totally different character than I'd intended him to be, when I named him

Quote:
And poor Azera will get a happy ending, even if she's starting to seem like the Charlie Brown of starship captains...
I'm glad to hear ^_^ Equally, Amanda lives a pretty solitary existence, only
time will tell if the LCs will change that

Quote:
Oh, you succeeded! I was a little startled just because those aren't topics you usually see in Trek - it's a bit like if HBO got the rights to the next series (in a good way!). The Vulcan references work very well: it does feel like we're listening on a conversation between two people naturally immersed in that culture, and even if we don't get all the references, the conversation carries us along and still makes sense. That's always a tricky thing in writing for an alien culture, balancing between the extremes of the characters seeming nonsensical or constantly stopping and explaining themselves to nobody in particular, and you pull it off well.
I'm glad I hit the right balance ^_^ In the past, Trek has tended to steer clear of the topic of sexuality, with the only example I can think of, being the Dax/Kahn relationship. I'd read on Beta though, that Tucker had a brother who was in a same-sex marriage, and that Lieutenant Hawk had been, prior to his death in First Contact, so I wanted to try and maintain that level of respect for the subject, without drawing too much attention to it (in general) I also wanted to establish why T'Marc would be single if she was to feature in future writing, rather than a typically bonded woman.
[Edit to add]
I forgot to clarify... The instances where Marcus had been haunted by the voices of the Collective, were solely post-traumatic, rather than a truly residual connection. I figured that once the nano-probes were disabled, the Quickening would have re-written his biology back to normal (well, normal for him...) so there would not have been the residual genome shifts which Seven and Picard would have had, and that when he assured Selek that the Collective was not aware of them, that was an educated guess based on his study of the Borg and their behavior, rather than a direct awareness of the Collective itself.

Quote:
And Highlander, Star Trek and Doctor Who all in one setting? Either the universe is in very good hands, or it's completely doomed...
Not quite a spoiler, as I'm not sure if I'm even going to pursue the idea, but I have been mulling over the idea of having a Barsoom Thark as the Valkyrie's new officer... I'm really not sure yet...

Quote:
with the Doctor, you can never quite be sure which way it'll go.
As for the Doctor, here's the sample chapter where he meets a few of my characters

Last edited by marcusdkane; 03-19-2013 at 09:56 AM.