View Single Post
Career Officer
# 286
03-20-2013, 07:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bareel View Post
It is because you are both making false assumptions about what over-capping power does, along with the rest of the community.

I will keep it simple. Three beams, 135 power (so 10 over cap) this is how your shots will be. Beams are A, B, C, shot 1, 2, 3, 4.

A1 @ 125
B1 @ 115
C1 @ 105
Now the 10 power jumps back into the system
A2-4 @ 115
B2-4 @ 105
C2-4 @ 95
OR
Possibility not sure
A, B, & C 3-4 @ 95

This is why it does nothing for DHCs. This is why it does little for cannons compared to what it does for beams. And this is why power drain is so much stronger. Power overcapping will never allow two weapons to fire at 125 power.

But how does one test this? Over cap with various energy types and parse the results.
Ok, did some number crunching on what you posted. That is more inline with what I am seeing. I used a 7 Beam build for comparison.

With 7 Beams at 125 power no overcapping, I should expect an average DPS per beam to be about 587.
With 7 Beams at 160 power with overcapping, I should expect an average DPS per beam to be about 804. This was used just for comparison.

I was able to run two tests with 7 Beams. One with overcapping, and one without.
Without overcapping and 7 beams I saw an average DPS per beam of 380.
With overcapping and 7 beams I saw an average DPS per beam of 467.

The overall encounter DPS without overcapping was 5886.21
The overall encounter DPS with overcapping was 7721.24

Overcapping or not, the method you posted was more accurate.

There does appear to be some benefit with overcapping regardless.

Further testing will be required. Will take me a few days to do so, as I work the next few days.