View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 9 Wow. Really?
03-21-2013, 12:35 PM
I'm shocked to hear some things in the replies to the original post.

First of all Npc's fly out of gravity well. I have 6 points. And I would find it ridiculous for someone to tell me I HAVE TO put 9 points into it to get it to hold. The fact is the repel sucks. Using it for npc spam? pfff. Is that what Gravity Well is for? Hmmm. And here I thought it was for controlling a group of ships. I think Cryptic needs to specify they want us to trap fighters with this skill in the description. I'm sure many other players are confused also.

Tykens Rift is a joke. I suppose someone will tell me that energy siphon is meant to boost your own power levels and not to drain the targets power levels either so its still good. I guess Cryptic should probably just remove the drain from enemies altogether for that skill since we're only using it for half ass reasons in the first place. But who needs to bother trying to drain when I can run two copies of Viral Matrix and shut down systems with little to no effort. Now there is a skill that IS working well right now.

Shield Drains? Mai Kai has already commented on his extensive experience with the skill. Its a hail mary. But I'm glad Tacyhon Beam and Charged Particle Burst aren't calculated as damage dealing skills. Good god tacs would buff those too.

Scramble is in a sweet spot right now. Jam Sensors does it's job. Photonic Shockwave was never for damage? In any form its either been stronger for stuns, or stronger for damage. Except now the damage is negligible even with shields down and the max disable you'll get is 1-2 seconds. Pretty crappy for a commander level skill. Wish my shockwave was more like an attack pattern. Boy those attack patterns sure get a lot of mileage. Of course I'll give credit to the photonic shockwave doffs. The spread can be pretty effective for that one to two seconds in team settings. It was a really cool addition to the game. So in my opinion a little boost in damage numbers may be warranted here.

There are too many sci skills that are NOT used particularly in premade matches simply because they are USELESS in their current form and/or relative to current resists to said skills. And if someone is going to tell me that out of all the science skills available that science captains are only meant to use the ones that deal NO DAMAGE? I guess Tac Captains only use the attack patterns that BUFF DAMAGE AND MOVEMENT and not DEBUFF their targets right? And Tac Captains shouldn't use anything that isnt a cannon or turret and deals energy damage. NO. Because that would just be plain nonsense.

So lets not come here and berate the original poster who is obviously frustrated with the current state of science. As are many other science captains who play this game right now. Lets not pretend there is nothing wrong with the class. There is definitely room for improvement. Now there are definitely things that work best for Science Captains right now and DontdrunkImShoot made an excellent point about what weapons work the best for sci right at this point in time. And for good reason. But in my own way I agree with the OP. Tac Captains don't need to buff science or engineering skills. They should only buff energy damage and projectile damage. I personally have a problem with Tac Captains having a monopoly over every form of damage dealt in the game. In my opinion projectile and energy damage is enough of a monopoly. Sci and Engineering Captains will never compete on raw damage output alone and that's fair. But that is where Science Captains and Engineering Captains should be able to make up the differential deficit in "pressure damage" versus "spike damage". Through the exotic damage found in select Science and Engineering abilities which have always been counterable or avoidable to some degree as opposed to an alpha strike exceptionally well timed and expertly executed.

-Captain Tripwire-

Let no other player discourage you from what you believe you can achieve in PvP. Though you may walk alone through looming shadows of doubt cast upon you by your enemies. Forge your heart with iron casting its shape out of only your pure will to push forward. You will not be denied eventually.

Last edited by tripwire690; 03-21-2013 at 12:43 PM.