View Single Post
Captain
# 202
03-21-2013, 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrscarlet View Post
@ marcusdkane - I think I need to understnd the concept of "exposition" to be able to use it to better effect.
I might be using the term incorrectly, but I just think that certain plot points can be assumed once set up, so not always necessary to write every single word. Of course, some stuff is just fun to write, and I probably could have written enough to have shown the preparation for the the trip back to Earth, but I just wasn't feeling it as part of that story, which ultimately, I felt was about the resolutions from LC 39: I needed to decide if Eleven really was an assimilated officer, or just an incarnation of the Borg Queen trying to avoid a quick trip through the airlock, as well as the issue of First Officer... I wasn't feeling inspired enough to write a long entry, so tried to focus on the most salient points to 'carry the gaps', if that makes any sense?

Quote:
Having said that, I think my recent entries are ... lacking ... something. Maybe I'm forcing myself?
I really enjoy your entries, but I think I can see what you're meaning... My only suggestion, would be to consider what emotional tone you are trying to convey, in addition to any plot points you want to hit, rather than simply 'having events happen', so you are covering more than one aspect of a story... That's not to say that you're failing to do that, I'm just suggesting it as something to consider to see if it might resonate or give you any other ideas ^_^

Quote:
I liked your having two First Officers for the reasons presented. It makes sense to me!
Thanks ^_^ One of the issues I had, was that I wanted to maintain the male-female ratio, so as to not wind up with a 'ship of the valkyries', as Q once termed Voyager following one of Q2's 'accidents', so I knew I would have to create a male character, but as GulBerat reminded me, they had to be a strong enough character to not disappear into the background. That's one reason why I chose not the have Eleven become the new First Officer... I figured that in ToS, Spock was First Officer in name only, and was functionally the Science Officer, so figured to follow that approach, rather than having a Riker/Chakotay-style First Officer, who didn't actually do anything other than talking to the captain...

Quote:
For my part, the LC topic inspired me to look at the command structure from my gameplay: I have my absolute XO (the first BOff I got), then as I acquired more I have a ship-based BOff set up and a variant Away Team set up. Since I can only have one Tactical BOff on the ship, Anthi was the obvious choice, and for Ground missions I made Karl the Tactical lead while Kathryn acted as "XO". LC 2 was a chance to briefly explain how that happened.
That makes sense, and I thought that was a good way of giving each officer the chance to take a lead depending on the scenario Equally, I consider ship-board versus away-team positions. For example, in my Doctor Who manuscript, where Marcus and the Endeavour are attending the coronation of the Pentaxian Empress, the officers who accompany him to the surface, are his chief of security, and senior navigator, afterall, no real need for a helmsman on the bridge when the ship is only going to be stuck in orbit for a few days ^_^

Quote:
Regardless, Seven of Nine (besides being eye candy) was certainly an easy short cut to a quick end and very convenient. I had a discussion with a friend recently and revealed my favorite Star Trek series "overall" was Voyager and one of the many reasons was because SoN offered many Many MANY differnet avenues to solve problems that otherwise would be tragic for the ship and crew. At the same time, I do remember saying to myself "How will she get Voyager out of this one?"
I can definitely see what you mean ^_^ My thoughts when planning LC 10, were based on the damage to the ship, and the loss of the nacelle, and possibly having a partial evacuation of the crew via shuttles to save on resources. I then thought of the Kelvin, which only had the one engine nacelle, and considered simply having the conn officer roll the ship along it's axis so the nacelle would be 'at the top', but then thought that the field it generated would still be at the wrong orientation, and then got to thinking about the assimilated transport, and how that became modified, and that the easiest option, might be to use Borg engineering skill to make it fly right (even if only at low warp). I didn't want to have Eleven having to use her Borg body to assimilate the ship and simply morph the hardware into existence, as that would be too convenient, so went down the route of suggesting that she act as a consultant instead (I imagine that in the process of making the modifications, Eleven and Meliden would have had some interesting interactions ) That's not to say that she will be remaining on board, but it settled the question of if she was genuinely an officer or not

Last edited by marcusdkane; 03-21-2013 at 04:38 PM.