View Single Post
Career Officer
# 10
03-22-2013, 10:51 AM
I'm going to write my responses under the assumption that the current crafting system will be replaced with variation of the Reputation system. Nobody's said that's what's going to happen, but it seems logical to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tau41 View Post
[BWhy not eliminate the entire existing crafting system and put several series of DOFF missions at Memory Alpha?
I think a lot of players probably enjoy doing it themselves, but I think the doff missions are a good idea. Why not have a mix of do-it-yourself and doff missions which grant "Crafting marks/XP?"

Quote:
I would suggest focusing the items made on weapon systems and consoles. On the character scale, there can and should be something about making the melee weapons that are so iconic in Star Trek, and possibly one of those could be an item for KDF that allows you to undertake a mission to craft your own super purple bat'leth in the volcano in the footsteps of Kahless. KDF players would LOVE that. I'm sure you could do something similar with lirpas as well.
New, unique-to-crafting items would definitely be welcome.

Quote:
Between the at-times unresponsive mini game, and the fact crafting is terrible, I avoid scanning them anymore. I hate the drops clogging up my inventory for a handful of junk I will NEVER have the patience to grind up to.
I agree that some changes could be made here. Maybe scanned particles could be exchanged for more "Crafting Marks?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by stirling191 View Post
Drastically reduce (or preferably completely remove) dilithium costs. Commodity/Trace input would potentially need to be adjusted as a result.
Yup.

Quote:
Allow selectable mods on items (IE: Choose the 3 mods you want on your Space guns as opposed to choosing from a tiny list of terrible combinations).
That's a great idea, but probably non-trivial to implement, as I don't think the engine allows mods to be "added" to an item...every possible variant of every single item would have to be hard-coded into the game.

Quote:
Add additional Crafting only sets.

Allow crafted items to go up to the Mk XII tier (with appropriate exorbitant non-diltihium resource costs)
Yup. Although dilithium would probably continue to be part of the equation, same as every other system that grants Mk XII gear.

-------------------------------------------------------
Here's what I think would be awesome for crafting: the crafting system should be the way to upgrade mission reward items which normally cap at Mk XI to Mk XII.

The Lobi store is currently doing this for a few items (e.g., the Crystalline set). IMO, the crafting system would be the best place for it. People could craft Mk XII versions of the TOS phasers, the Efficient Impulse Engines, the Paratrinic shields, and all of the other mission reward stuff.