View Single Post
Starfleet Veteran
# 13
03-23-2013, 08:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxvitor View Post
Get in line. You are not the 1st person to ask for this and it has been requested by people from day 1. The answer has always been no, CBS doesn't like the idea of upside down ships, some people claim players will get disoriented, Star Trek has always had a ships at sea look, etc. It's a load of bunk but there it is.
YOU'RE DAMN STRAIGHT it's a load of bunk. I'm just going to quote from Wrath of Khan:

Spock: "He's intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."

Kirk: "Full stop."

Sulu: "Full stop sir."

Kirk: "Z minus ten thousand meters. Standby photon torpedoes."

What ensued was one of the greatest examples of "full 3D" tactics in a space battle in all of cinema. OK so the ship doesn't "rotate" 90 degrees but it flies directly straight up and directly straight down.

---

Fast forward to the JJ Abrahms era, and of course with modern computer graphics now they can actually show ships flying inverted and at 90-degree angles to each other, etc.

Plus most current space games I play allow for this kind of movement, from Galaxy on Fire on my iPhone to Dark Star One on the XBox.

It just seems ridiculous for a major title like STO not to have THE basic defining feature of spaceflight. I get it that it might be disorienting to some players to have their ship rotate forever and never know which way is "up." For these noobs they would have a noob button that says "I'm scared of space" and they can keep it check-marked. But for those players Spock would call "experienced," they would uncheck it and live the real life experience.

Let me point out that if ships could not fly directly up WE WOULD NEVER HAVE GOTTEN INTO SPACE IN THE FIRST PLACE. Think of the message you're sending to children! These games should AT LEAST be somewhat educational about space. Puh-leeze!