View Single Post
Captain
# 6
03-26-2013, 03:07 PM
I don't know. I'm a queue guy. Not in a PvP fleet, not elite or anything. Relatively new to pvp, here. Here's my experience, in this:

I once did a couple of pvp matches on my feds, got steamrolled, went back to pve. Then got bored with pve, and I tried pvp some more, this time on my KDF's, mostly. It still wasn't pretty.

Then I read up on builds and tactics, practised hard, tried different things and eventually got better. I now fly BoP's, Battlecruisers, Carriers and the occasional Raptor, with various degrees of success, but definitely pulling my weight. Flying my ships of choice I tend to approach the top of charts in damage and kills, now, even though I'm most definitely not a top KDF player. I was pleased when my tac in a BoP started to get top score in kills/damage, once in a while.

Now, here's the kicker. I recently checked back on my feds, with the knowledge I now had. I found I had accidentally gotten them decent traits (elusive, accurate, etc), and that I got them all the pre-S7 mk xii rep Sets, and various sets of mk xii [borg] weaponry - not perfect, but definitely competitive to the stuff I use on my KDF's.

I set up some decent builds, queued up on my tac, and my team lost big time. Tried again, wiped again. Both times I was the top damage dealer/killer, easily. Still, we got wiped big time because there was no inkling of team play or cohesion. I called targets, but nobody responded or acted on them. If I didn't, nobody else did, and everybody got picked off one by one - by packs of 2-3 KDF players.

Got the same experience queueing up on my sci and eng. Both still topping the charts quite often, and generally surviving alpha's my team members didn't - I like to think that's because I have in-depth experience in decloaking alpha strikes.

For me, there are two main differences between fed and kdf in open queue pvp.
1: the cloak, which lets you (KDF players and potentially those flying Defiants and Gal-X's) decide when to strike, giving you an edge, even though you generally give up precious survivability as a trade-off.

and 2: teamwork. And this one is the most important one, in my opinion. Almost all KDF queued matches I'm in has people calling targets, and if they don't, I will. Additionally, there's often crosshealing occurring naturally and people zipping over to get a teammate's attacker. These things hardly ever happen in open queued fed teams, in my experience. Even when I call targets it's only 1 or 2 people at best who focus fire.

Believe me, when Fed teams have good teamwork going, the kdf ships suddenly aren't that overpowered.