View Single Post
Captain
# 29
03-26-2013, 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
I think the problem with Voyager for me, lies squarely on the shoulders of Kate Mulgrew... She was not the original choice for the role, it should've been Genevieve Bujold. The character was never written for her, and I think that re-casting is where all Kathryn's weaknesses come to the fore... The thing that got me the most about her, was her inconsistency... She was happy to use the principles of the Federation as a Moral Highground when someone pissed her off, but was equally quick to abandon them and do what she wanted when someone else pissed her off... Sure, Kirk did whatever the hell he wanted whenever he wanted, but he was at least consistent about it. Same with Picard. There were times when he was truly hamstrung by the principles of the Federation and tended to break them only in the gravest of circumstances. Janeway, on the other hand, I would equate more to Riker: Comes across as everyone's best buddy, but when told something he/she didn't like, would become petulant and snotty in their treatment of others and grossly unprofessional. Captain Ransom, on the other hand, now he had big cojones... He knew full well he was going against Federation principles, but was doing so to protect his crew. I imagine that before his breakdown, Fleet Captain Garth was very similar...
I don't know, for much of the show the writers only showed the characters "business side" the bold face she had to put on in front of the crew.
Play more STO Foundry! (You can thank me later.)

A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM in the SIRIUS SECTOR