View Single Post
Commander
# 209
03-31-2013, 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkelfofficer View Post
"I regret that we meet in this way. You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend." -Romulan Commander to Kirk, Balance of Terror

--

" Counselor Deanna Troi: [as Major Rakal] We ensure the loyalty of the people. Do you believe the Empire would be better off without our protection?

Commander Toreth: Protection? From what? How was the Empire threatened by the words of an old man? A devoted citizen who merely tried to speak his mind? How did the Tal Shiar protect the Empire by dragging him, my father, out of his home in the middle of the night?

Counselor Deanna Troi: [as Major Rakal] Clearly your father was a traitor.

Commander Toreth: No. He was just an idealistic old man. I never saw him again."
-Face of the Enemy

--

"Admiral Jarok: There comes a time in a man's life that you cannot know. When he looks down at the first smile of his baby girl and realizes, he must change the world for her - for all children. It is for her that I am here. Not to destroy the Romulan Empire, but to save it. For months, I tried desperately to persuade the High Command that another war would destroy the Empire. They got tired of my arguments. Finally, I was censured, sent off to command some distant sector. *This* was my only recourse. I... will never see my child smile again. She will grow up believing that her father is a traitor. But she will grow up - if you act, Picard. If we stop this war before it begins."
-The Defector
And that's where the IP really fell off the wagon. It became too idealized, in an age where realism was wanted. TNG was fine, but by Voyager it was growing out of touch, and by Enterprise the IP had gone the opposite direction of culture at large.