View Single Post
Republic Veteran
# 14
03-31-2013, 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
You know dude, doesn't take much to actually think of another name than spitting on that author who used the name in the first place.

No different than Cryptic picking and choosing what they like. That is why many Star Trek fans never played STO.
You seem to be taking Cryptic's usage of the name as an affront to the author. This probably is not the case in the slightest, considering how Crytpic has to acquire permissions to use anything in STO that haven't explicitly appeared in the TV shows or the movies (excluding Star Trek XI).
And I fail to see how Cryptic (or CBS for that matter) being picky about what gets introduced into their game, in whatever fashion and time frame, is a bad thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
Hey lets bash Star Trek fans!

You know what man, it's not cool to make Bird of Prey exclusive for the Klingons when the Romulans were the first to have the name, I'll give you a clue, the name came from that Firebird paintjob on the Dorsal sides of the ships in TOS.

That and in Star Trek 3, the Klingon BoP was originally going to be a stolen Romulan BoP. (Personally, glad that never happened).

As for the Romulan D7's, what was explained made perfect sense that Romulan ships lacked power and traded Cloaking Devices for Klingon D7s, so their new Cloaking Devices could work at maximum potential.
I'm not even bashing Star Trek fans, considering I'm one myself. I'm admonishing Star Trek fans who take their interpretation of canon a smidge too seriously.
And I'm well aware of the reason they came up with for the TV show as to why the Romulans had Klingon D-7 battlecruisers. I even said I was aware. I'm also aware of the production-side of things, why the show's producers had to use a Klingon ship, because that decision is why they came up with the in-continuity explanation in the first place.
I even stated that I already knew these reasons, and still found it ridiculous.
Besides, while the Klingons may have gotten the ship designation "Bird-of-Prey" from the Romulans, the Klingons made them much more iconic than the Romulans ever did. When people think "Bird-of-Prey", they most likely jump right to picturing a Klingon one.
Warbirds are the ships that people associate most with the Romulans, since Romulan Warbirds had more on-screen appearances than any Romulan Bird-of-Prey ever did.
I stand by my previous assessments.
Formerly GT-01. Runnin' a small lite-RP casual fleet called "The Voyagers"! Message me in-game at either Salen@GT01 or Xavok@GT01 if yer interested.
Here's my neat Idea's Thread.