View Single Post
Career Officer
# 16
03-31-2013, 04:02 PM
I'm not even bashing Star Trek fans, considering I'm one myself. I'm admonishing Star Trek fans who take their interpretation of canon a smidge too seriously.
And I'm well aware of the reason they came up with for the TV show as to why the Romulans had Klingon D-7 battlecruisers. I even said I was aware. I'm also aware of the production-side of things, why the show's producers had to use a Klingon ship, because that decision is why they came up with the in-continuity explanation in the first place.
I even stated that I already knew these reasons, and still found it ridiculous.
Besides, while the Klingons may have gotten the ship designation "Bird-of-Prey" from the Romulans, the Klingons made them much more iconic than the Romulans ever did. When people think "Bird-of-Prey", they most likely jump right to picturing a Klingon one.
Warbirds are the ships that people associate most with the Romulans, since Romulan Warbirds had more on-screen appearances than any Romulan Bird-of-Prey ever did.
I stand by my previous assessments.[/quote]

You're right about the Klingons making the BoP an iconic name and the same about the Romulans and warbirds. That's how it was such a glaring oversight in ST:2009 when they called the Klingon ships warbirds. I think it is because Klingons are commonly seen in the BoP. They Klingon military is composed of individuals loyal to a family banner almost as much as the flag of the empire itself. The Romulans were much less likely to appear in a strike ship/corvette. I think they attempted to avoid this confusion in TNG by simply referring to their smaller ships simply as Romulan scout ships.