View Single Post
Rihannsu
# 37
03-31-2013, 09:07 PM
Literary Challenge #3: My Haven

From Darkness, Light

Bryan gazed wearily at the viewscreen of the U.S.S. Athena. He felt almost as if he wasn't entirely there, but that some piece of himself was left in the Embassy where he had told his mother to leave him to live his life just a few hours ago. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw the bridge door open.

"Ibalei. What do you need?" he asked the Joined Trill women who stepped through the doorway.

"You look like you could use a break Bryan," she said.

"When my duty shift is-"

"Bryan, as your first officer, I must insist that you take the rest of your shift off."

"My shift isn't even halfway-"

"Fine, as your wife, I demand you take the rest of your shift off," She said smugly.

Bryan sighed, knowing that it was only a matter of time before she played that card. "Fine. But just this once. I'll be in the holodeck if anyone needs me. Commander Ibalei Zizania, you have the con."

Bryan stepped into the massive holodeck, empty and still in its inert grid pattern. He looked around, and walked to the middle of the room, hearing the door hiss shut behind him.

"Athena," he called, "Load simulation Valot number Zero-Zero-One."

"Aye, sir. Simulation loading now," The AI replied.

The room around him shimmered and warped, until suddenly he was standing in a great black void, pierced only by small, spiraling dots of light. He looked around, and smiled a little.

"Play some music, Athena," he said.

"Care to be a little more specific, sir?"

He paused for a moment, thinking. "Cosmos, by Vangelis."

The entire room was filled by the soothing combination of synthesizer and piano music. Bryan looked around at the galaxies as they passed him by, imjagining the wonders that lay there, merely waiting to be discovered. Even as he did so, the troubles that had plagued him for so long seemed to simply fade away, as they always did when he stood among the stars. He closed his eyes, letting the music gently wash over him, as he thought in silence, rationalizing everything that had occurred to him recently. Ibalei nearly being killed, proposing to marry her, Joining her to a Trill symbiont, finally marrying her, and letting go of the last vestiges of his biological family, had really begun to take their toll on him. But, in here, among the stars, the billions and billions of stars, all of that seemed so much smaller, and only the light stood out. Bryan reopened his eyes, smiling as he gazed around, the galaxies as numerous as grains of sand on any beach. At least, he felt at peace, and all his troubles seemed to simply melt away.
Vice Admiral Bryan Mitchel Valot
Commanding officer: Odyssey class U.S.S. Athena
Admiral of the 1st Assault Fleet