carriers anyone feel the same way
View Single Post
Join Date: Jul 2012
04-02-2013, 07:50 AM
None of the carriers in STO actually deserve the name "carrier". The fighter pet AI is terrible, but more pressingly, all the carriers actually carry tons of capital-grade weapons.
This is vaguely akin to someone retrofitting an Iowa-class battleship by taking off the last turret and slapping on some F-35s in a hangar (a la the
That's not a carrier, it's a TAVKR- Heavy Aviation-Carrying Cruiser, in Russian parlance.
Let us assume that each fighter 'hangar' bay has a 1500-2500 dps capability, and let us assume that a carrier has between six and seven weapons slots, each of which is probably capable of 500-1500 dps before skill bonuses.
A true carrier, therefore, should have
weapons slots, but should have (3000-10,500)/(1500-2500)= ~2-6 hangars beyond the the standard two, or four to eight hangars depending on a variety of factors.
With four hangars each launching two flights of three fighters, you get a carrier wing of 24 fighters.
However, basically anyone could tell you that this ship would be a terrible failure. The fighter AI is insufficient for this task. Fighters are too slow, too stupid, and too poorly armed to be particularly lethal against player ships and player ships have very poor point-defense against fighters, for the most part.
The easiest fix for this, as far as I can tell, is to give the carrier ship a variety of built-in skills that compliment its fighters. Scrap sensor analysis and subsystem targeting on a carrier; after all, it has none of its own weapons, and does not need them. Similarly, most offensive skills are useless on a carrier with no weapons.
So. What skills would be optimal for fighters?
Built In Ship Skills:
1. Fighter Direction (built in passive)- sensor analysis-like stacking buff to your fighters energy weapons damage when you maintain a target lock on a hostile target.
2. Emergency Scramble (built in active)- all fighters launch at once. 180 second cooldown, doubles time to launch next hangars.
Tactical boff skill:
1. Attack Pattern Epsilon I- all fighters gain an instantaneous recharge to their torpedo cooldowns and conduct a bombing run on your selected target.
2. Attack Pattern Lambda I- all fighters gain a 30% buff to energy damage for 15 seconds.
Eng boff skill:
1. Evasive Maneuvers Beta- All fighters gain an "evasive maneuvers" skill and scramble back toward their carrier, attacking a random target currently firing on their carrier.
2. Hangar Repair Protocol- all fighters regain 50% of their health over 10 seconds and immunity to warp core breaches around them.
Sci boff skill:
1. Fighter Shield Hardening- all fighters gain a 25% boost to shield resistance and 50% recharge of their shields over 10 seconds.
2. Shield Bombardment- fighters gain a 75% boost to DPS but do not damage hull for 10 seconds.