Thread: Starbase Chapel
View Single Post
Captain
# 75
04-07-2013, 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorceror01 View Post
I'm going to start off with this:

The thread discussing this subject is polarizing enough, in and of itself.

The devs didn't include such a structure in-game for very good reasons, and honestly, religions aside, you should respect that, OP.

If you or anyone else need some spiritual place in your life, that is fantastic and understandable... but you shouldn't be looking for that in a virtual reality. And asking for it not only places undue stresses on the dev team but I think sullies the premise of one's own spirituality a bit.
I am not trying to offend, mind, but trying to point out why such a request may not be the wisest idea.

For many different reasons, but most prominently the respect of not just religion (of any kind) itself but for respect of Trek and the idea that Roddenberry had in mind for it, I will have to emphatically say "no".
I agree with this post whole-heartedly.

I will add, that as an ordained minister, I entirely respect and promote the freedom of, and the freedom from religion. While I respect the choice of atheists, I find the condescension and dismissal of the religious to be utterly shameful and hypocritical. Given that today is a Sunday, I shall make my first online sermon, and I shall make a reading from the Holy Qur'an:

"Praise be to Allah, Lord of the Worlds,"

Let us consider those words. Not Lord of the World, but Lord of the Worlds and how it fits with the mission statement of Starfleet:

"To explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations..."

May peace be upon you all