View Single Post
Captain
# 14
04-18-2013, 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreendragoon1 View Post
That's pretty much what I was suggesting. There is almost no one left on the [player ship] and if the away team leader is taken out (which is a great excuse to force you to seek out the EMH) you are literally all that there is.

You're right that once you retake the [player ship] and reestablish contact with the Khitomer, there needs to be a good reason they don't beam over more experienced officers to relieve you. They can't lower shields if they're battling a cube.

I would say that the Khitomer shouldn't be assimilated right away as that just means you have to fight it before you've gone through the space tutorial. If the Khitomer is actively holding off the cube, and the [player ship]'s weapons are damaged, retreat is a prudent action. (And a good way to teach about ship movement.)

(I'm really starting to think I should mock this up as a Foundry mission in order to illustrate it effectively.)
honestly, I am thinking the Foundry idea isn't a bad one. It is just hard for me to visualize this in any concrete way that doesn't either make the Khitomer Captain incompetent or make it just more ridiculous then what we have.

I am not saying the current tutorial is perfect, but you have to admit, it does get the job done of giving you a ship in a believable way. Even the borg being gone can be explained in that the ship is not empty. Everyone else is just an enlisted rank, thus you outrank them.